Monday, October 20, 2008

Last Day (Boo Hoo!)

Sadly, my final day in Egypt has come and almost gone. We spent the morning shopping at a local craft-type fair where I got a couple of souvenirs and this cute dress for Rachel. It was made by the women who live in an oasis in western Egypt. A charity organization has helped them market their products here in Cairo to help them be self-sustaining. Then we came home for more Rachel time. She enjoys coloring, playing with her toys, and having books read to her. I have tried to get in as much Rachel time as possible in the last eight days, and I'm afraid she might be just a little spoiled now.

While Rachel was napping, I decided to get very brave and walk to Road 9 by myself. We've been there several times together, so I figured it couldn't be too hard. Nancy did give me a map, but I ended up not needing it at all. It really hasn't taken very long to get acclimated to my surroundings, and I've felt very safe here. I needed to buy some more Bandaids for my toes, so I set off to find a pharmacy. That's the only place you can find things like Bandaids. When I found the right store, I went in and asked for Bandaids. The clerk rummaged around in a drawer and proudly handed me four Bandaids. When I asked for more, she said no. Nancy says they do that sometimes to foreigners--pretend they are out of something just so it inconveniences you. It's hard to believe they wouldn't have a box of Bandaids. Oh, well, we did find a different pharmacy later in the evening and were able to buy two boxes. So while I was on my walk I finished getting a few souvenirs and bought some snacks for the plane ride and to take home to the kids. Andrew & Nancy were quite proud of this old grandma and her bravery!

I'm so glad when daddy comes home!

For our last meal together, we decided to eat on the banks of the Nile. It was a beautiful evening, the food was good (TGI Friday's), and it was absolutely wonderful to spend more time with Andrew, Nancy, and Rachel.

Andrew asked if my trip had met my expectations, and I have to give a resounding YES. I didn't come expecting to be entertained or taken everywhere to see everything. I'm glad I did some of the touristy things and also glad we didn't try to do everything. My favorite activity was just sitting and playing with Rachel. I think she enjoyed it, too. I hope Nancy doesn't have too much trouble with Rachel in the morning when she can't find Grandma in the house.

Oh, on a side note: What would a visit from Grandma be without some household fix-up chore? Andrew had purchased a tube of caulk and a caulking gun in the hopes I could help with fixing a marble piece by the kitchen sink. We finally got it done tonight. Try teaching Andrew how to use a caulking gun--at least he was better than his dad!

I'm leaving here at midnight to catch a 3:30 a.m. flight to Mumbai, India (with a stop in Abu Dhabi), so it's going to be a long night. I should have taken a nap this evening, but just couldn't miss out on Rachel time. Goodbye, Andrew & Nancy; thank you for your hospitality and for letting me do the dishes and buy you things. Goodbye, Rachel; thank you for your hugs and kisses and for letting me feed you cookies and cheese. I'll miss you all, and I hope to be back soon.

No comments: